Rostock, Germany – Liebherr is extending its product range of IT tools and services with LiDATÂ® smartApp. This telematic system is using big data analytics to optimise the cargo handling performance of your cranes and related processes. Why using big data?
Numbers are everywhere in our lives, and statistics is about turning these numbers into useful information on which we can take action. Big data analytics examines large amounts of data to uncover hidden trends, anomalies and other insights.
Why it matters for the maritime industry?
With LiDATÂ® smartApp, itâ€™s possible to analyse your crane (operating and performance) data and get answers from it almost immediately. That leads to immediate decisions. The ability to work faster gives ports a competitive edge they didnâ€™t have before. Big data analytics helps to detect bottle necks and to identify new opportunities. That, in turn, leads to smarter more efficient operations, higher profits and happier customers.
How it works
Basically LiDATÂ® combines crane technology and data transfer logic. Big data analytics is where advanced analytic techniques operate on big data.
- The online work cycle detection on the crane records specific values during the crane operation.
- Process data are transmitted in real time to the LiDATÂ® server centre, where the analysis is taking place.
- With LiDATÂ® smartApp all relevant data/variables are displayed as key performance indicators (KPIs) on any device (PC, tablet, smartphone, â€¦).
- The result of the analysis can be fed back to the crane/driver via LiDATÂ®. The results are shown on the operators display.
What are the features and benefits?
To create benefits for our customers data have to be available on demand.
- Status reports & fleet management: You can customise your dashboard by defining important KPIs in accordance to your tasks in the port/terminal. KPIs allow for a quick overview about a set of machines to decide on any further actions. Basically, your cargo handling process is visualised at a glance and you can monitor the working progress in real time.
- Detailed view & comparison: With the detailed view of variables over time, dependencies and distribution (also allows to compare multiple cranes) LiDATÂ® smartApp is adding analytical power, enabling in depth analysis and enhanced understanding of your operations.
- System integration: By adding connectivity and intelligence, a certain system integration is achieved. Intelligence means LiDATÂ® smartApp is able to show calculated forecasts (e.g. display the amount of hours until the vessel is unloaded). Furthermore, smartApp proposes optimisation measures to work even more efficient (e.g. if the crane is not positioned to make use of its full handling potential, the system proposes the ideal position and calculates the expected gain in turnover). Connectivity means LiDATÂ® smartApp allows for direct communication with the crane/operator. Results can be sent to the crane/operator for immediate actions.
- Training & simulation: By comparing multiple cranes LiDATÂ® smartApp might reveal potential for optimisation. This real data can be used to create realistic training scenarios on a simulator. Especially unexperienced crane drivers can improve their operating skills in a safe environment. Furthermore, the effectiveness of simulator based training can be monitored.
Big data used to be a technical problem. Now, itâ€™s a business opportunity. With LiDATÂ® smartApp ports and terminals are able to discover facts they didnâ€™t know before. LiDATÂ® smartApp gets all relevant people throughout your port/terminal connected directly to the relevant data. At the end of the day this leads to immediate decisions and gives customers the ability to get added value out of their data.
Originally published on www.ajot.com